Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 7
- complexion = warna muka
- crazy = gila
- cream (kata sifat) = putih kekuning-kuningan
- depress (kata kerja) = menyedihkan
- engaged (to be married) = bertunangan
- enjoy (one self) (kata kerja) = bersenang-senang
- grandchildren = cucu
- involve one self = melibatkan diri
- marriage = perkawinan
- marry (kata kerja) = kawin
- mirror (kata benda) = cermin
- nationality = kebangsaan
- naturalize = menaturalisasikan
- outlook = pandangan
- parents = orang tua
- realible = dapat diandalkan
- settle (in a country) (kata kerja) = menetap di suatu negara
- soft = lembut
- support oneself = hidup dari usaha sendiri
- sure (confident) = yakin
- sweet (kata sifat) = kata sifat
- taken place = terjadi
- wedding = perkawinan
- Lots of. (Banyak). Phrasa ini digunakan dalam kalimat positif sebagai pengganti much. Contoh: She has lots of money.
- To put (your) self out for someone. (Kamu benar-benar bersusah payah menolong seseorang). Contoh: Although he had a lot to do, he put himself out for me and helped me with my work.
- To be really oneself again. (Seperti biasanya lagi). Contoh: Yesterday he seemed very tired, but today he’s really himself again.
- A real beauty. (Cantik sekali). Contoh: Cleopatra was a real beauty.
- A good figure. (Bentuk badannya bagus.) Contoh: Mary has a prety face and a good figure.
- Between ourselves. (Bicara antara kita sendiri). Contoh: Between ourselves I don’t like him.
Barbara dan Harry sedang mengobrol bersama di hotel mereka sebelum tidur.
Barbara : Well, it’s certain been a wonderful day. I always enjoy myself when lots of things happen.
Harry: Everything will be easy now with Peter and Pamela here. They’re certainly putting themselves out for us!
Barbara : And it’s so good to see that Peter’s really himself again. He was so tired before he left for England.
Harry : Yes, he certainly looks well now.
Barbara : Pemela’s a sweet girl. A little queit perhaps, but she seems reliable and very sure of herself.
Harry : She’s real beauty too, with that wonderful cream complexion and those soft, dark eyes and that fair hair. She’s got a good figure too.
Barbara : Yes, Harry. You talks as if I hadn’t seen her myself.
Harry : No-well-she’s a pretty girl.
Barbara : I wonder -
Harry : What?
Barbara : Have you asked yourself?
Harry : Oh I know, whether Peter’s in love with her.
Barbara : Yes-well, between ourselves, I’m not sure that I want Peter to marry an English girl.
Harry : Why not?
Barbara : Well, there’s the difference in outlook. Marriage is difficult enough as if is, and then there’s the question of whether they could support themselves and of where they would live. Peter might decide to settle in England, and then we’d never see him.
Harry : Yes, but -
Barbara : It depresses me to think of our son involving himself in this way.
Harry : But, Barbara, are you crazy? You don’t even know they’re engaged.
KATA GANTI REFLEKSIF
Kata ganti refleksi myself, yourself, dan sebagainya dipakai apabila subyek kata kerja juga merangkap sebagai obyek:
Have you asked yourself?
There’s the question of whether they could support themselves.
It depresses me to think of our son involving himself in this way.
Kata ganti refleksif sesudah kata depan
Kata-kata ganti itu juga dipakai sesudah kata depan bila kata ganti tersebut menggantikan subyek kalimat:
She seems reliable and sure of herself.
He bought some cigarettes for himself.
She sends letters of herself.
Namun, sesudah kata depan yang menyatakan waktu atau tempat, yang dipakai bukan kata ganti refleksif melakinkan kata ganti orang:
The soldier heard the animal behind him.
We have the whole day before us.
The secretary shut the door after her.
Dipakai untuk menegaskan
Kata ganti refleksif juga dipakai untuk mempertegas, dan ditempatkan baik sesudah kata benda yang berhubungan, maupun di akhir kalimat.
Do it yourself.
The general himself took us into the house.
The boy (himself) finished his homework himself.
Kata benda refleksif dan bukan refleksif
Dalam bahasa Inggris terdapat banyak kata kerja bukan refleksif yang dalam bahasa lain mungkin termasuk kata kerja refleksif.
I wonder how you are.
I feel happy.
I cut my finger.
I hurt my arm.
I hurried to my work.
I woke up at eight o’clock.
I went to sleep immediately.
I left after lunch.
I remember you very well.
I married a bussiness woman.
Enjoy adalah kata kerja yang sukar untuk dipakai dalam hal ini. Enjoy adalah kata kerja transitif, maka dari itu tidak bisa dipakai tanpa obyek. Kata kerja yang mengikutinya harus diubah dalam bentuk ing:
The Englishman enjoyed himself in Paris.
The Frenchman enjoys drinking good wine.
Dipakai dalam ungkapan
Sesuai dengan yang bisa anda lihat dalam daftar ini, dalam bahasa Inggris kata refleksif banyak dipakai dalam ungkapan:
He was not himself at the party.
The student was quite sure of himself.
The clerk involved himself with the girl.
The workman earned so little it was difficult for him to support himself.
The hotel waiter put himself out for us.
Between ourselves, he’s crazy.
To be in love with someone.
To leave for somewhere.
To be engaged to someone.
To be sure of yourself.
KATA KERJA TIDAK BERATURAN
|to put||I put||I put||I have put|
1. Isilah titik-titik ini dengan kata ganti refleksif yang tepat jika perlu:
- They lost …. in the wood.
- I remember …. my days in the army without pleasure.
- The visitor sat …. on the chair.
- You are very kind to put …. out for me like that.
- We enjoyed …. when we visited Germany.
- How can you be …. when you never honest?
- She looked at …. in the mirror.
- I woke …. up at six o’clock because I had to leave for London at eight.
- Don’t feel …. depreseed because nothing has taken place.
2. Sempurnakan dengan bentuk self yang benar, untuk memberi tekanan.
Contoh: It was painted by the artist ….
It was painted by the artist himself.
- The man …. was the murderer.
- The book …. is good but the pictures are bad.
- I can’t do it …. but John can.
- They …. are not realiable.
- He …. was engaged to a Swedish girl.
- The celebration …. took place outside the church.
- She …. was in love with her employer.
- We shall do it ….
3. Gantilah kata-kata yang di cetak tebal dengan kata-kata yang sesuai dengan percakapan, dan mempunyai arti yang serupa:
- Do they love each other?
- He went to Beirut yesterday.
- She’s extremely attractive.
- He didn’t seem to be as he usually is.
- She has a body that is neither too fat nor too thin.
- He was quite confident as far as the exam was concerned.
- I don’t want to tell anyone but you.
- The clerk at the tourist office worked hard and spent a lot of time for us.
- If you don’t work you will find it difficult to earn enough money.
4. Isilah dengan kata depan yang benar:
- I am leaving …. Berlin tomorrow.
- The enginer was in love …. the policeman’s daughter.
- …. ourselves you must be more careful.
- She is very practical and down …. earth.
- Before we met I heard so much …. you.
- Don’t involve yourself …. that business.
- The dog is affraid …. his master.
- Don’t put yourself out …. us.
5. Ulangan: Kata kerja tidak beraturan, bentuk selesai sekarang, dan bentuk lampau. Ubahlah kata kerja dalam kurung ke dalam bentuk yang benar:
- He was (to put) the book on the table.
- We (to visit) here for half an hour.
- The boy (to stick) the stamp on the envelope this morning.
- I never (to keep) a dog when I in France.
- We (to understand) you the first time.
- Yes, I (to read) one of Dickens’ work.
- Now he (to forget) what he wanted to say.