Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 13
- doubts = keragu-raguan
- fold (kata kerja) = melipat
- gaily = cerah
- introduction (social) = perkenalan (sosial)
- overhear = kebetulan mendengar
- psychology = psikologi
- puddle = genangan
- rainy = berhujan
- satisfy = memuaskan
- satisfactory = memuaskan
- sight (something seen) (kata benda) = pemandangan (sesuatu yang dilihat)
- trip up = (menyebabkan) tersandung
- worry (kata benda dan kata kerja) = khawatir
- To give someone an introduction. (Memberi surat perkenalan pada seseorang). Contoh: Can you give me an introduction to your friend in London?
- Soone or later. (Pada akhirnya, cepat atau lambat). Contoh: He’ll come and see us sooner or later.
- With best wishes. (Salam).
Pelajarilah kembali catatan-catatan dalam pelajaran bahasa Inggris dari 1 sampai 12. Setelah itu pelajari surat berikut ini dengan menaruh perhatian khusus pada tenses seperti pemakaian will dan shall; would dan should; ought to; kata ganti penghubung (who, which, that) dan kata depan.
32 Brwon Street,
London, W. 2,
November 5th, 1961
We arrive in London only a couple of days ago, but I feel we’ve been here for weeks. Again many thanks for the introduction you gave me. I shall call on MacAndrew tomorrow about my inflatable umbrella which, if successful, will really be a revolution. Who knows? Soon Piccadilly Circus will be full of gaily coloured rubber mushrooms instead of black umbrellas, and rainy days will not so sad in England. Tubes and buses will no longer be crowded with folded umbrellas which leave puddles on the floor and trip people up. It would be strange indeed if the whole psychology of English business men changed. Perhaps they will smile from time to time as they go to work with my invention in their hands.
Unfortunately, my umbrella was kept by a Customs Officer. Perhaps I ought to have been more polite to him. However, I’m sure that it will be returned to me sooner or later.
I’m enjoying England and I like meeting English people. The big breakfast we have here every morning are very satisfying and so are the sight, although my wife, Barbara, who also is here, enjoys them more than I. Sometimes I feel tired because we’ve seen to much in such a short time. Barbara, however, says that she has never seen anything more beautiful than the things she sees each day. At least this pleases her and those English people who overhear her.
I well remember you doubts about my success but I’m sure there was no need to worry. I’m determined that my idea shall succeed, however much people lough at it at first. Tell me if there is anything I can do for you here. I promise I would help you, and I will.
I hope you are well. I’ll answer any letter from you by return—I hope. With best wishes to your family.
Marilah kita bahas surat Harry. Pertama-tama, alamanya: alamat ditempatkan di sudut kanan atas kertas. Disitu harus di beri alamat, sebab di Inggris biasanya alamat tidak ditulis di sebelah belakang amplop. Perhatikan alamat tersebut:
- Nama Hotel — Leicester Hotel.
- Nama Jalan — 32 Brown Street.
- Nama Kota — London, W.2.
- Nama Negara (bila perlu).
Ada hal-hal lain yang perlu diperhatikan:
- Di belakang masing-masing baris alamat diberi koma, kecuali pada baris terakhir yang tentu saja harus diberi titik.
- Nomor ditempatkan sebelum nama jalan dan bukan sesudahnya. 32 Brown Strett.
- Di London, semua alamat mempunyai singkatan untuk wilayah kantor pos: W.2. adalah singkatan dari West Two. Singkatan-singkatan lainnya yaitu: N.W.4 = North-west Four. S.E. 17 = South-east Seventeen. E.1 = East One.
- Ada tiga cara untuk menulis tanggal, yaitu: November 5th, 1962; 5th November, 1962; 5/11/62.
- Nama-nama bulan juga bisa disingkat: Nov, Jan, Sept, dan sebagainya.
- The rain is crowded with people.
- I have doubts about your success.
- Many thanks for this.
- I shall call on MacAndrew.
- The suitcase is full of clothes.
Jika anda ingin mengetahui kemajuan anda, ada sebaiknya mengerjakan latihan-latihan berikut ini. Berilah tanda sendiri untuk setiap jawaban yang benar. Jika semua isian betul, anda mendapat 120. Jika mendapat kurang dari 60, anda sebaiknya mempelajari kembali kedua belas pelajaran dengan teliti.
1. Isilah dengan kata depan yang benar:
- He was prevented us …. seeing the king.
- He’s come to London …. business.
- You can hear the radio all …. the world.
- Harry’s been working …. his invention.
- My aunt bought at lot of presents …. me.
- Don’t laugh …. him.
- I didn’t see him …. first.
- Please introduce me …. him.
- If you do that you will get …. trouble.
- I shall compensate you …. all the money you have spent.
- Can you show this tourist …. London?
- Please protect me …. my enemies.
- He is five minutes late; he never arrives …. time.
- We see her …. time …. time.
- I shall answer you letter …. return.
- The girl saw him standing …. the other side of the street.
- Don’t stick the stamps …. that envelope.
- I wish you had done it …. another way.
- He was …. love …. his wife.
- When we visited them they put themselves …. us.
- They are leaving …. France tomorrow.
- She has been engaged …. him …. a year.
- …. ourselves, I don’t much like him.
- I read an interesting newspaper report …. the crime.
- My son is very good …. history.
- The clerk didn’t agree …. me.
- She is frightened …. the dark.
- I don’t see roast beef …. the menu.
- He’s always complaining …. his brother.
- Many thank’s …. all you’ve done.
2. Ubahlah kata-kata kerja tidak beraturan berikut ke dalam bentuk lampau:
- The water has just (to freeze).
- He (to hurt) me when threw the knife.
- The enemy (to strike) in the early morning.
- We have often (to tear) our clothes.
- The bee (to sting) the general, yesterday.
- The boy has (to grow) very quickly.
- The student (to forget) to bring his book to the last class.
- The soldier (to swear) he would help.
- When she was broke she (to bear) the difficulties without complaining.
- The table is (to break).
3. Letakkan kata yang ada dalam kurung pada tempat yang betul dalam kalimat.
- He learns English (very well).
- It fell the luggage (off).
- Happy she is now! (How).
- It is beautiful day (such) (a).
- He ate the bread (fast).
4. Isilah dengan that, which, atau what:
- The student …. I met is at University.
- The best book …. I have ever read is this one.
- You don’t know …. you are talking about.
- The house …. is near the river, belongs to him.
- This is the only day …. is free.
- It’s difficult to know …. he wants.
5. Berilah kata ganti tertentu the bila perlu:
- …. love he feels for her is strong.
- …. Pyrenees are between France and Spain.
- I don’t like …. chocolate.
- …. cigarettes in this box are very old.
- …. horses are not used so much today.
- Many English people go to …. Mideterranean for their holidays.
- You have to show …. kindness to children.
- …. Morocco is now independent.
- He never speaks to …. enemies.
- …. enemy is only ten miles away.
- I never smoke …. cigarettes.
- …. kindness is a virtues.
6. Istilah dengan kata ganti diri yang sesuai bila perlu (myself, yourself, dan sebagainya).
- He cut …. his finger.
- We enjoyed …. at the theatre.
- You can’t support …. on that money.
- They feel …. verry happy at the hotel.
- He wasn’t helped. He did it ….
- The tourist moved …. nearer.
- Don’t involved …. with that girl.
- You must be …. or you will seem ridiculous.
- Just ask …. what you would do if you were him.
- The clerk hurried …. to arrive on time.
7. Ubahlah kata-kata kerja dalam kurung menjadi bentuk lampau yang betul:
- If I (to be) you should be careful.
- Yesterday I (to break) my watch.
- The Englishman (to live) in Paris for five years now.
- The student just (take) that book.
- He (to visit) Italy last year, and stayed there a long time.
- If she (to know) his age she would tell you.
- If he (to be) intelligent he would have passed his exam.
- The millionaire is angry because he already (to lose) a lot of money.
- The clerk we were talking about (to do) a lot of work in his life.
- I never (to see) him when he lived near us.
- If he had come we (to help) him.
8. Isilah kalimat-kalimat berikut dengan satu diantara kata depan berikut yang sesuai: in, on, into, onto, out of.
- Look at the bee …. the window.
- He sat …. the church and listened.
- I’m not sure but I think he is …. school.
- Take your clothes …. the suitcase and put them away.
- He jumped off the chair …. the floor.
- Please sit down …. the ground.
- The teacher walked …. the classroom and began the lesson.
- He has three bottons …. his coat.
- There is gold burried …. this garden.
- He tripped up …. the street.
- They have many beautiful flowers …. home.
- The tourists arrived …. Spain this morning.
- Don’t throw that …. him.
- His shoes are …. that cupboard.
9. Ubahlah kata-kata kerja dalam kurung ke dalam bentuk akan datang yang betul:
- By next year he (to leave) University.
- I (do) everything I can because I want to.
- (to open) you that box for me?
- They (to do) it because I tell them to.
- You (to receive) it by twelve o’clock.
- We (to be) to tired to do anything this evening.
- I don’t know if it (to rain).
10. Isilah would atau should dalam kalimat berikut:
- If everything …. go wrong we shall write to you.
- I think he …. work hard.
- The lady …. drink milk although it made her fat.
- He …. have taken the train if hadn’t had a accident.
- Of course we …. give you a chocolate if we had one.
- I …. have got up at seven because I had so much to do.
- The business man said he …. send me the money but he didn’t.
- The girl …. speak loudly so that everyone can hear her.
11. Ubahlah kalimat-kalimat berikut ke dalam bentuk lampau:
- They must arrive on time.
- It should be finished before your employer comes.
- It must be raining as your coat is wet.
- Of course you ought all to be more careful.
- You father must finish his work.