Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 32
- bargaining (kata benda) = tawar menawar
- disastrous = berbahaya
- excuse (kata benda) = alasan
- load up = memuat
- lorry driver = sopir truk
- muscle (kata benda) = otot
- pear = buah per
- persuasive = meyakinkan
- produce (kata benda) = hasil bumi
- retails (kata sifat dan kata keterangan) = eceran
- suace (for food) = kuah (untuk makan)
- strike (kata benda) = pemogokan
- subject (kata benda) masalah
- union (trade union) = perkumpulan (perkumpulan dagang)
- value (kata benda) = nilai
- wholesale (kata sifat atau kata keterangan) = borangan
- yawn (kata kerja) = menguap
- To beat down. (Menawar). Contoh: He wanted £100 but I beat him down to £80.
- Good value. (Barang berharga). Contoh: This watch has been good value. I’ve had it 40 years.
- To show surprise. (Menunjukkan rasa heran).
- An M.P. (a Member of Parliament). (Anggota Parlemen).
- To keep things to yourself. (Merahasiakan, tidak mau mengatakan). Contoh: She always keep things to herself and never tells me anything.
- To come up. (Terungkapkan, muncul). Contoh: The subject never come up. (Masalah itu tidak pernah terungkap.)
Keluarga Sallis sedang duduk-duduk di sebelah warung kopi dekat pasar buah dan sayuran di Covent Garden:
Harry : I think I may have been foolish getting up so early on the day that I’m going to see these brokers.
Pamela : Oh, I’m sure you’ll be just as persuasive!
Harry : Wasn’t all that bargaining interesting? Did you hear that woman? If she hadn’t beaten the man down she would have paid a fortune for all those flowers shee was buying for that big hotel.
Barbara : Do you know that she got up at five this morning so that she could buy for the best flowers!
Harry : I suppose the men who sell the fruit and vegetables sleep during the day and work at night.
Peter : The lorry drivers do. They load up the farm produce before dawn and then driven in from the country. We might have seen them arrive if we’d been here a little earlier.
Pamela : The lorry driver we met said he might come to this cafe when he’d finished unloading, didn’t he?
Harry : I think so. If he does he can tell us more about it. I suppose they sell anything wholesale here.
Peter : That’s right. And then it’s sold at retail prices in the shops.
Barbara : Otherwise all those apples and pears wouldn’t have been so cheap.
Harry : Well! What a good housewife I married! She’s only been in England a few weeks and she already knows what’s good value and what isn’t.
Barbara : I think you might show less suprise — after we’ve been married so long! Oh, look at Peter! Hes yawning!
Peter : I know. I’m not used to getting up so early. Father’s yawning too!
Harry : Yes, I’d go back to bed now if I didn’t have that appointment with the brokers.
Pamela : By the way, if you are unsuccessful, Mr. Sallis, we’ll go and see my employer who’s an M.P. I should have thought of it before. He could probably give you a lot of advice.
Barbara : I didn’t know you worked for an M.P., Pamela. You do keep things to yourself.
Pamela : Well, the subject never come up. Of course, I’m on holiday now. But I go back to work in a few days.
Harry : Anyway, it’s a very good suggestion, Pamela.
Peter : Ah, here comes our breakfast.
Pamela : Might I have the sauce, Mr. Sallis?
Barbara : This is where those men get their mucles from for loading and unloading thos lorries. You two men ought to go out and help them afterward.
Harry : Perhaps I would — if I were strong enough.
Peter : Well, we’ve got a good excuse. It might really be disastrous. As we don’t belong to the union there’d probably a strike!
Might sukar bagi pelajar-pelajar asing. Kadang-kadang kata ini dipakai sebagai bentuk lampau dari may. Pada waktu lain, kata itu bisa dipakai dalam waktu sekarang atau mempunyai arti tersendiri.
1. Anda mungkin ingat dari pelajaran sebelumnya bahwa may dipakai untuk mengajukan permintaan yang sopan. Kita kadang-kadang menggunakan might jika kita mau lebih sopan lagi:
- Might I have the sauce?
- Might I suggest that we leave early?
- Might I open the window?
2. Seperti halnya dengan may, might bisa dipakai untuk waktu sekarang untuk menyatakan kemungkinan. Tapi might biasanya menunjukkan perasaan ragu-ragu yang lebih besar daripada may akan kemungkinan itu:
- He might come, but I should be surprised.
- Of course she might tell us her secret, but I don’t think she will.
- The porter might help me with my luggage!
1. Dalam kalimat-kalimat tak langsung, might dipakai sebagai bentuk lampau dari may, untuk menyatakan kemungkinan atau izin:
- He says he may come to this cafe.
- He said he might come to his cafe.
- The lorry driver announced that he might arrive at dawn.
- Our employer said that we might go early.
2. May bisa dipakai dalam bentuk sekarang dan might dalam bentuk lampau sesudah anak kalimat yang menyatakan tujuan dan diawali oleh so that. Tetapi kenyataannya, dalam hal ini lebih lazim dipakai can dan could.
- She got up at five so that she could (might) buy the best flowers.
- I’m working hard so that I can (may) pass my exam.
MAY HAVE DAN MIGHT HAVE
Bila pada waktu sekarang terjadi keragu-raguan mengenai suatu kemungkinan pada waktu lampau, kita memakai may dengan have dan past participle:
- She says she may have left her umbrella on the train.
- I agree that he may have been telling lies.
Bila keragu-raguan itu terjadi pada waktu lampau mengenai kemungkinan pada waktu sebelumnya, might dipakai sebagai pengganti may:
- She said she have left her umbrella on the train.
- I agree that he might have been telling lies.
Kita juga menggunakan might have bila kita berbicara mengenai sesuatu yang mustahil, sesuatu yang tidak benar-benar terjadi:
- He might have been King of England if he had lived longer.
- We might have seen them arrive if we’d been here earlier.
- They said they might have had a pleasant holiday if they had had more money.
AFTER DAN AFTERWARDS
Kerap kali perbedaan ini sukar bagi para pelajar. After paling umum dipakai sebagai kata depan atau kata penghubung dan menunjuk kepada sesuatu yang menyusul dalam kalimat tersebut:
- He sat down after he had made his speech.
- He came in after John.
- I’ll do it after dinner.
Afterwards merupakan kata keterangan:
- He had lunch. Afterwards he smoked a cigar.
1. Gabungkanlah dua kalimat itu dengan might have + past participle untuk menyatakan kemungkinan yang tidak terpenuhi. Pakailah (a) but dan (b) if:
Contoh: I didn’t go. I was busy.
a. I might have gone but I was busy.
b. I might have gone if I hadn’t been busy.
- I wasn’t late.
- John took me in his car.
- The little boy wasn’t hurt. This man saved his life.
- It isn’t serious. The cut is not deep.
- I didn’t finished it last night. I was too tired.
- We didn’t go by car. All the seats were taken.
2. Gabungkanlah kedua kalimat di bawah dengan menggunakan so that + could:
Contoh: He left at dawn. He wanted to get there early.
He left at dawn so that he could get there early.
- I worked all night. I wanted to finish the book by the morning.
- She telephoned me. She wanted to meet at the station.
- I left early. I wanted to arrive in time for lunch.
- My parents sent me abroad. I wanted to see the world.
- My father retired. He wanted to live in the country.
3. Isikanlah may atau might dalam kalimat-kalimat berikut:
- I think he ……. stop trying to annoy us! (Complaint).
- You ……. come home with us if you like.
- He says Mary ……. have been a good writer if she had not been so lazy.
- I’m sure the M.P. ……. have thought we were calling on him this afternoon.
- You ……. beat him down! But I don’t think it’s possible.
- It ……. rain tomorrow. (Doubtful). But I’m sure it will be fine!
- It ……. be fine day tomorrow (not very doubtful) and then we shall go to the country.
- The farmer told me yesterday he ……. arrive this evening.
- We ……. have been rich. But we never have been!
- ……. you all have a happy Christmas!