Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 44
Baca Dengan Seksama
It is difficult to change someone’s opinion by badgering him. The child who begs his mother to “get off his back” when she implores him for some assistance with the household drudgery, may very well plead interminably for some special privilege when he wants something for himself. How paradoxical that neither is able to perceive that no one likes being nagged.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- She does her homework on Fridays to save herself from the __________ of having to do it during the weekend.
- The teacher continually __________ the pupil for the missing assignments.
- The eminent scientist __________ difficulties in putting the invention into practice.
- The sick child’s mother __________ the doctor to come immediately.
- I listened to the boring lecture for what seemed an __________ fifty minutes.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ unpleasant, dull, or hard work.
- ____ unending.
- ____ to plead urgently for aid or mercy.
- ____ to understand, know, become aware of.
- ____ to pester, nag, annoy persistently.
to pour oil on troubled waters = to make peace, to calm someone down
- When I tried to pour oil on troubled waters, both the angry husband and his wife stopped their quarrel and began to attack me.