Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 46
Baca Dengan Seksama
Calvin Coolidge, our thirtieth president, was named “Silent Cal” by reporters because of his laconic speech. One Sunday, after Mr. Coolidge had listened to an interminable* sermon, a throng of newsmen gathered around him. An intrepid reporter accosted the Chief Executive: “Mr. President, we know that the sermon was on the topic of sin. What did the minister say?” “He was against it,” the reticent Coolidge replied.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- His speech was usually rambling, but this time I found it brief and __________.
- If a surly panhandler should __________ you, keep on walking.
- Even under repeated questioning, the witness remained __________.
- A howling __________ of teenage girls surrounded the rap artists.
- The corporal received the Silver Star for his __________ deeds in combat.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ expressing much in few words.
- ____ brave.
- ____ to approach and speak to.
- ____ crowd.
- ____ silent.
the sword of Damoclesany = imminent danger (a king seated one of his subjects underneath a sword that was hanging by a hair, in order to teach him the dangers a king faces).
- Although the president of the company seemed quite secure, he always complained that there was a sword of Damocles hanging over his head.