Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 47
Baca Dengan Seksama
Casting a furtive glance over his shoulder, the felon slipped out the main prison gate to be swallowed up in the British fog. A plethora of escapes from supposedly secure prisons embarrassed the hapless wardens. To compound* their problems, the officials were badgered* by irate citizens who accused the guards of accepting bribes from convicts whose motto was: “Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage.”
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- The __________ contest winner was unable to locate the lucky ticket.
- My uncle was __________ when the drunken driver swerved in front of us.
- In a __________ manner she removed her shoes and tiptoed up to her room.
- When the teacher asked why the homework had not been done, he was greeted by a __________ of incredible alibis.
- Since the boss learned that Bob associated with a known __________, he fired him.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ angry, incensed.
- ____ a person guilty of a major crime.
- ____ unfortunate.
- ____ excess.
- ____ secret, stealthy.
Pyrrhic victory = a too costly victory (King Pyrrhus defeated the Romans but his losses were extremely heavy)
- In heavy fighting the troops managed to recapture the hill, but it could only be considered a Pyrrhic victory.