Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 42
Baca Dengan Seksama
The worlds of science-fiction abound with wonders. Yet modern technology progresses so rapidly that what may be today’s wild dream may be next year’s kitchen appliance. A British scientist has prognosticated that within ten years every suburban matron will have her own robot servant. One task this domesticated automaton will not have to contend with will be scouring the oven because even today the newest ranges can be “programed” to reduce their own baked-on grime to easily disposed of ashes.
Sekarang anda sudah melihat kata-kata tersebut digunakan dalam context, dan semoga anda sudah punya petunjuk mengenai maknanya, cobalah untuk menggunakannya dalam kalimat di bawah ini. Tapi ingat bahwa akhir kata mungkin harus diubah.
- The mayor refused to __________ as to his margin of victory in the election.
- The time is approaching when human workers may be replaced by __________.
- A clever salesman will always ask a __________ if her mother is at home.
- The western plains used to __________ with bison before those animals were slaughtered by settlers.
- Man may be freed from backbreaking labor by the products of scientific __________.
Uji diri anda untuk memadukan kata-kata baru tersebut dengan defenisi di bawah ini. Jika anda merasa tidak yakin, coba perhatikan lagi dengan seksama bacaan diatas:
- ____ an older married woman.
- ____ branch of knowledge dealing with engineering, applied science, etc.
- ____ a robot; a mechanical “person.”
- ____ to exist in great numbers.
- ____ to predict or foretell a future event.
a pig in a pokean = item you purchase without having seen; a disappointment.
- The mail order bicycle that my nephew bought turned out to be a pig in a poke, and he is now trying to get his money back.