Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 45
Sampai sejauh ini, Anda telah mempelajari 20 kata baru, sebuah langkah yang besar dalam mempelajari bahasa Inggris. Sebagai hasil dari pelajaran kali ini, anda akan jadi lebih waspada terhadap kata-kata tersebut yang membutuhkan pemahaman anda untuk melengkapi kesuksesan dalam pelajaran pertama ini. Selesaikan quiz di bawah ini dengan cara memadukan antara kata-kata baru yang telah anda pelajari sebelumnya, yaitu:
dengan defenisi berikut ini:
- ____ to be completely soaked in something.
- ____ to be able to tell what will happen in the future.
- ____ someone’s special field.
- ____ to continually nag.
- ____ carelessly chosen.
- ____ related to science of engineering.
- ____ to add to.
- ____ beg for assistance.
- ____ of outstanding reputation.
- ____ a mature woman.
- ____ small amount of.
- ____ dull, difficult work.
- ____ desiring huge amount.
- ____ existing in great number.
- ____ historical records.
- ____ to come to have an understanding of.
- ____ completely filled with.
- ____ machine that behaves like a person.
- ____ seemingly self-contradictory situation.
- ____ unending.
Pilih kata-kata yang sesuai untuk masing-masing kalimat di bawah ini.
- The huge football player had a (voracious, replete) appetite.
- After a seemingly (interminable, indiscriminate) wait, the surgeon came to give us the news.
- Without a (paradox, tinge) of evidence, the coroner could not solve the murder.
- In the (realm, annals) of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
- We invited the (eminent, steeped) engineer to address our club.
- In the Catskill Mountains, the woods (abound, implore) with deer.
- I cannot (perceive, prognosticate) why people voted for the corrupt senator.
- Night and day my kid brother (badgers, compounds) me for money.
- Science fiction movies usually feature (annals, automatons).
- With his expertise in (drudgery, technology), my uncle is able to earn a good salary.
Apakah kalimat-kalimat di bawah ini benar? Jelaskan kenapa!
- The rookie was amazing in spring training but he turned out to be a flash in the pan.
- I complained to the salesperson because he had sold me a pig in a poke.
- When I tried to pour oil on troubled waters, I only made matters worse.
- After the election, when my candidate conceded his loss, I had to eat humble pie.
Lengkapilah kalimat yang terdapat dalam bacaan dibawah ini dengan kata-kata: voracious; indiscriminate; eminent; steeped; replete; abound; technology; prognosticate; automaton; matron; paradox; realm; annals; compound; tinge; badger; implore; drudgery; interminable; perceive.
In the __________ of crime, there are few scoundrels who could match the exploits of Reggie Hayes, who also used the names of Reginald Haven, Ricardo Hermosa, Father Harris, and dozens of other aliases. Reggie’s police record, principally in Chicago and Baltimore, is __________ with scams that he perpetrated upon gullible people. Generally, his favorite target was a __________ who should have known better.
Dressed as a priest (”Father Harris”), he was most convincing, however. His method of operation was to “find” a wallet stuffed with hundred dollar bills outside a supermarket and then __________ an unsuspecting woman to share his good fortune, since there was no identification in the wallet. But first, to establish her credibility, his victim had to put up a sum of money as a testimonial to her good faith. Mrs. Emma Schultz, age 72, tearfully told the police that she had withdrawn $14,000 from her bank and placed it in a shopping bag supplied by the helpful priest. He told her to hold onto the bag while he went next door to a lawyer’s office to make the sharing of their good fortune legal.
After a seemingly __________ wait, Mrs. Schultz discovered to her chagrin that the heartless thief had skipped out the back way, leaving her “holding the bag”a switched bag containing shredded newspaperwhile he made his getaway with her life savings.