Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 53
Baca Dengan Seksama
My cousin refers to himself as a ”sanitary engineer”a euphemism for garbage collector. There are any number of people who try to find more respectable or glamorous titles for the mundane jobs they hold. It may seem incongruous to call an undertaker a “condolence counselor,” or to refer to a taxi driver as a “transportation expediter,” but some prefer those titles. As a matter of fact, our butcher has stipulated that from now on he wants to be known as a “meat coordinator.” He became irate* when I inadvertently* called him “Butch.”
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- We repudiated* the contract because it did not __________ a cost of living bonus.
- The word “expired” is a __________ for “died.”
- When my neighbor’s dog was run over, we sent a __________ card.
- The philosopher dealt with spiritual things, ignorning the __________ ones.
- The play was so __________ that it seemed to be the work of several authors.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ worldly
- ____ a less offensive term
- ____ to specify a condition
- ____ inappropriate
- ____ pity
to go up in smoke = to come to no practical result (kindling smokes but it will not light a fire)
- The mayor’s plans to get the gubernatorial nomination went up in smoke when he couldn’t end the costly strike.