Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 57
Baca Dengan Seksama
Mullins sought solace in whiskey. Once a highly respected aspirant for the lightweight crown, he now found himself associating with the dregs of Skid Row.* He would work himself into an alcoholic frenzy in which he would trumpet scurrilous attacks on the champ, the old manager, and the judge. One avid* fight fan attributed Mullins’ absence from the ring to sickness, saying that he was “recovering from a bad case of SCOTCH.”
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- Vigilant censors protect the public from listening to __________ language on television.
- The publisher scoffed* at the reports that he was an __________ for the job of Secretary of State.
- In a __________, the teenager overturned every drawer while searching for the car keys.
- At the bottom of the beautiful wine bottle, only the __________ remained.
- In trying to offer __________ to the pilot’s wife, the reporter inadvertently* made the situation worse.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ most worthless part
- ____ coarse
- ____ easing of grief
- ____ wild fit
- ____ candidate for high position
to rule the roost = to be in charge, to be master (a roost is a perch where domestic birds can sleep)
- Although he is a lowly private in the army, at home he rules the roost.