Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 64
Baca Dengan Seksama
Speaking of inventions and discoveries, I just learned that an eminent scientist in Ohio has developed a pill that contains all the nutritive value of three complete meals. In addition to providing us with the vitamins and minerals we need daily, this pill also gives a feeling of fullness. According to its sponsors, the pill will nourish and satisfy. I hate to disparage such a laudable achievement, but to me it seems like a most objectionable discovery. Rather than a scientific triumph, I’d be inclined to label it as an egregious blunder, a scientific disaster, a laboratory fiasco. Is there anyone in his right mind who thinks that a pill can replace the pleasures of devouring hot corn bread, masticating on a thick steak, biting into crisp french fries, or attacking a chocolate sundae? I’m afraid that this is one pill I’ll have to eschew from chewing.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- The paradox is that Javert’s inexorable pursuit of Jean Valjean was both __________ and despicable.
- The affluent storeowner __________ the efforts of his small competitor, saying that he could always tolerate that kind of rivalry.
- To aid in digestion, you must __________ each piece of meat one dozen times.
- In an acrimonious letter, her father described the project as a complete __________.
- Once he sought the limelight, but now he __________ all interviews.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ to discredit, belittle
- ____ avoid
- ____ to chew up
- ____ praiseworthy
- ____ complete failure
to let sleeping dogs lie = to let well enough alone, to avoid stirring up old hostilities.
- The lawyer wanted to open up the old case, but his partner advised him to let sleeping dogs lie.