Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 65
Baca Dengan Seksama
I guess we’ll never be able to quell those persistent rumors about the invention of auto tires that will never wear out, stockings that cannot tear, and pens that won’t run dry. A voluble economist informed me that such products will never be marketed. “Can you imagine,” he asked, “a manufacturer cutting his own throat? Why would he sell you an item that you will never have to replace? No,” my confidant whispered, “it’s part of their scheme of planned obsolescence to sell you merchandise with a limited life span in order to keep you coming back for more.” I am dubious about the existence of those perfect products, but then I’m from Missouri.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- When the duplicity was revealed, the jury became __________ about Ed’s innocence.
- In order to __________ the riot, the police sallied* forth with tear gas.
- A teenage boy’s father should be his true __________.
- The __________ built into many products could be regarded as a flagrant* insult toward the duped consumer.
- I could not doze in the chair because of the __________ barber.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ one to whom you confide your secrets
- ____ talkative
- ____ process of wearing out
- ____ put an end to
- ____ doubtful
thumb’s down = signal of rejection (Roman emperors could condemn a gladiator who fought poorly by turning their thumbs down)
- My father turned thumbs down on our plan to hitchhike to Florida during Easter.