Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 66
Baca Dengan Seksama
Once the newspapers got the story, the case of the longhairs became a cause célèbre. Ron and Len were interviewed, seen on TV, and regarded by their fellow students as heroes. “These are not delinquents or hoods,” one reporter wrote, “but clean-cut American boys who are being harassed by a monolithic school system.” A caustic editorial referred to the school’s decision as arbitrary and inane. A false story even circulated about the boys being rock-‘n-roll performers whose indigent families needed their salaries. Finally, the Civil Liberties Union jumped into the fray with a court order stipulating that the principal be required to show cause why the boys should not be allowed to return to class.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- After the __________, the feuding families agreed to patch up their differences.
- The __________ client was surprised when she was accosted* by her social worker in the elegant restaurant.
- To my mind the decision was unreasonable and __________.
- George Orwell’s 1984 depicts a frightening, __________ government.
- If anonymous telephone callers __________ you, the phone company will give you an unlisted number.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ based on whim, dictatorial
- ____ poor, needy
- ____ massively solid
- ____ a fight
- ____ to trouble, torment
one swallow does not make a summer = don’t jump to conclusions based on incomplete evidence
- “Sure, the Yankees won their opening game, but one swallow does not make a summer.”