Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 69
Baca Dengan Seksama
In 1956, Look Magazine named Thomas Dooley as one of the year’s ten most outstanding men. Just under thirty years of age at the time, Dr. Dooley had already distinguished himself by caring for a half-million sick and emaciated Vietnamese refugees. When fighting broke out in the divided country of Viet Nam, the northern Communist Viet Minh forces surged southward, scattering thousands of refugees before them. At the time, Dr. Dooley was a lieutenant, assigned to a tranquil naval hospital in Yokosuka, Japan. Forthwith he volunteered for duty on a navy ship that had been chosen to transport the refugees to sanctuary in Saigon. The curtain was beginning to ascend on Dooley’s real career.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- The __________ residents of the Warsaw Ghetto managed to win several skirmishes from the Nazis.
- A firecracker terminated the __________ climate of the neighborhood.
- When Richard III violated the __________ of the church to seize the princes, he exceeded his jurisdiction.
- Chicago put its heaviest players up front, but they were helpless as the Giants’ line __________ toward them.
- Inexorably the determined climber began to __________ the Himalayan peak.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ to rush suddenly
- ____ shelter
- ____ quiet
- ____ abnormally thin, wasted away
- ____ to rise
sour grapes = to disparage something that you cannot have (from Aesop’s fable about the fox who called the grapes sour because he could not reach them)
- Marcia said that she didn’t want to be on the Principal’s Honor Roll anyway, but we knew that it was just sour grapes on her part.