Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 70
Baca Dengan Seksama
Aboard the refugee ship, Dooley’s destiny took shape. He became painfully cognizant of the malnutrition, disease, ignorance, and fear that afflicted the natives. In addition, he discerned how active the Communists had been in spreading their anti-American propaganda. Tom Dooley pitched in to build shelters in Haiphong, and to comfort the poor Vietnamese there before that besieged city fell to the powerful Viet Minh forces. He was seemingly unconcerned by the many privations he had to endure. For his services, Dooley received the U.S. Navy’s Legion of Merit. He told the story of this exciting experience in Deliver Us from Evil, a best seller that alerted America to the plight of the Vietnamese as well as to the sinister menace of communism.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- The stool pigeon, the detective’s confidant, told him about the __________ plot.
- By running up a white flag, the __________ troops indicated their desire to withdraw from the fray.
- Citizens of several Kentucky mountain communities are __________ by the worst poverty in the nation.
- The emaciated prisoners were obviously suffering from advanced __________.
- Albert Schweitzer endured considerable __________ as a jungle doctor.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ lack of necessities
- ____ faulty or inadequate diet
- ____ evil, ominous
- ____ to surround, hem in
- ____ to trouble greatly, to distress
to swap horses in midstream = to vote against a candidate running for reelection, to change one’s mind.
- The mayor asked for our support, pointing out how foolish it would be to swap horses in midstream.