Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 73
Baca Dengan Seksama
P. T. Barnum, the great circus impresario, was once accosted by a woman who showed him a scurrilous manuscript about himself, and said that unless he paid her, she would have the book printed. Barnum rejected the extortion attempt. “Say what you please,” he replied, “but make sure that you mention me in some way. Then come to me and I will estimate the value of your services as a publicity agent.” Barnum obviously felt that adverse criticism was an asset for a public figure. A man who seeks the limelight should not care what is written about him but should be concerned only when they stop writing about him. Barnum’s philosophy suggests that we might do well to review the plethora of publicity given to rabble-rousers and bigots.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- When the business manager was accused of __________, his colleagues sought to oust him from the firm.
- The eminent __________ brought many cultural spectacles to our shores.
- Attacked by the irate crowd, the __________ asked the police for sanctuary.
- President Clinton hoped to be an __________ in his wife’s campaign for the U.S. Senate position.
- It was excruciatingly painful for the actors to read the __________ reviews that their performances had received.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ a narrow-minded, prejudiced person
- ____ unfavorable, harmful
- ____ one who presents cultural series, organizer
- ____ a valuable thing to have
- ____ getting money by threats
to spill the beans = to give away a secret.
- Although he was naturally reticent, when the felon was intimidated by the members of the rival gang, he spilled the beans.