Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 74
Baca Dengan Seksama
Today, the blatant bigot, the leader of a lunatic fringe, and the hate-monger, each with his tiny entourage, find it relatively easy to attract publicity. Newspapers give space to the virulent activities of those agitators on the grounds that they are newsworthy. TV producers and radio executives, seeking for sensationalism, often extend a welcome to such controversial characters. “Yes,” said the host of one such program, “we invite bigots, but it is only for the purpose of making them look ridiculous by displaying their inane policies to the public.” Some civic-minded organizations have answered, however, that the hosts are not always equipped to demolish those guests, and even if they were, the audience would still be exposed to the venom they spew forth.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- The visiting dictator’s ubiquitous __________ of bodyguards disturbed our tranquil city.
- Europe’s population was afflicted by a __________ plague known as the Black Death.
- From each candidate’s headquarters acrimonious charges would __________ forth daily.
- Clym Yeobright’s mother succumbed to the __________ of a snake bite.
- With __________ discourtesy the reporters continued to harass the bereaved family.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ group of attendants
- ____ disagreeably loud, very showy
- ____ poison, spite, malice
- ____ throw up, vomit, eject
- ____ full of hate, harmful
to keep a stiff upper lip = to be courageous in the face of trouble.
- It was admirable to see how the British managed to keep a stiff upper lip in spite of the German bombing.