Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 75
Baca Dengan Seksama
Suppose a bigot wished to organize a meeting in your neighborhood. Since we cherish freedom of speech, we are loath to deny the request, even if he preaches hatred. As a result, hate-mongers are given the opportunity to rent halls, conduct meetings, publish abusive literature, and solicit contributions. What can be done about them? One astute observer, Prof. S. Andhil Fineberg, advocates the “quarantine method.” His plan is to give such groups no publicity and to ignore them completely. Without the warmth of the spotlight, he feels that the bigot will freeze and become ineffectual. Debating with such warped minds is not feasible* and only tends to exacerbate* the situation.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- Since we felt that the ruling was arbitrary, we were __________ to obey it.
- Daily the volunteers went out to __________ funds for the indigent families.
- My neighbor was __________ enough to discern the adverse features of the mortgage.
- The general was sure to __________ that we give the enemy no respite from the bombings.
- The play was so blatantly bad that the impresario fired its __________ director.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ keen, shrewd
- ____ to be in favor of, to support
- ____ not effective
- ____ unwilling, reluctant
- ____ to beg, seek earnestly
to have cold feet = to hesitate because of fear or uncertainty.
- My cousin was all set to join the paratroops, but at the last moment he got cold feet.