Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 63
Baca Dengan Seksama
My buddy Verne, a precocious automotive wizard, and I were inspired to do some inventing on our own. We thought it might be feasible to park a car parallel to a space on the street. Then, by pressing a button, we could raise the four tires off the ground slightly, while dropping two special wheels perpendicular to the curb. It would then be child’s play to roll into the narrowest of parking spaces. We took the idea to Ed Greene who runs the Ford agency in order to elicit his reaction. After a perfunctory glance at our plans, to our chagrin Ed snorted that our idea was inane, but we decided that he was just jealous of our brilliance. Tomorrow we are going to start on a computer that will enable us to measure the intelligence of perverse automobile dealers who like to deride the efforts of junior geniuses.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- The children in Shakespeare’s plays are so __________ that they all sound like grandparents.
- Edith gave only __________ attention to the new millennium, skipping our New Year’s Eve party.
- The Wright brothers didn’t become distraught* when a skeptic would __________ their work.
- When I correct my kid brother’s math errors, he is __________ enough to insist that he is right.
- To the __________ of many taxpayers, some citizens seem to cheat the government with impunity.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ done without care, superficial
- ____ reaching maturity early
- ____ feeling of disappointment, humiliation
- ____ contrary, persisting in error
- ____ to ridicule, scoff at
red-letter day = day of happiness, time for rejoicing (holidays are red-letter days on our calendars)
- My red-letter day came when I was chosen as senior class president.