Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 76
Baca Dengan Seksama
The quarantine method for handling bigots implies more than giving them the silent treatment. Prof. Fineberg urges community-relations organizations to scrutinize the nefarious activities of hate-mongers and to be prepared to furnish information about them to amicable inquirers. When a rabble-rouser is coming, those organizations should privately expose him to opinion-molders. In addition, constructive efforts should be taken to induce people to involve themselves in projects for improving intergroup relations. Bigger than the vexatious immediate problem is the need to find out the cause for such bigotry and to counteract this sinister malady that afflicts a segment of our society.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- The __________ buzzing of the mosquitoes as they surged about our heads nearly drove us insane.
- Our __________ relations with Latin America are an asset to hemispheric trade.
- Once the virulent __________ had run its course, my temperature dropped.
- We were distraught upon hearing the venom spewed forth by the __________ bigot.
- No sooner did the lawyer __________ the extortion note than she called the police.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ annoying
- ____ villainous, vicious
- ____ examine closely
- ____ disease
- ____ friendly, peaceful
to look a gift horse in the mouth = to be critical of a present (from the practice of judging a horse’s age by his teeth)
- Although I didn’t have much use for Uncle Roy’s present, I took it with a big smile since I have been taught never to look a gift horse in the mouth.