Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 80
Baca Dengan Seksama
“Give me some of the rudimentary information about the disease, Doc,” said Jerry, glancing toward the inert figure of his son. “Well, as you know, the malady used to be called ‘hydrophobia’ (fear of water) because one of the symptoms is an inability to swallow liquids. Actually, it is caused by a live virus from the saliva of an infected animal. If saliva gets into a bite wound, the victim may get rabies. The virus travels along the nerves to the spine and brain. Once the salient characteristics appear (ten days to six months) then death is imminent.” ”What are the symptoms?” asked Mrs. Hart. “Pain and numbness, difficulty in swallowing, headaches and nervousness. Also, muscle spasms and convulsions.” The squeamish neighbors who were engrossed in the doctor’s remarks gasped. “I think we should go ahead with the injections,” the distraught Mrs. Hart said. “I’ve heard enough.”
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- The senator loathed it when people said that an atomic war was __________.
- When his __________ partner complained about a lack of ethics, the businessman laughed at his innocence.
- __________ in his crossword puzzle, he failed to notice the paucity of customers in the restaurant.
- One of the __________ features of her poetry is a dependence upon euphemisms.
- Seeing the __________ player, the manager dashed out onto the field.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ outstanding, prominent
- ____ without power to move
- ____ likely to happen, threatening
- ____ absorbed
- ____ easily shocked, over sensitive
to tilt at windmills = to fight imaginary enemies (from Don Quixote)
- The vice president told the committee, “We’re really on your side, and if you fight us you’ll be tilting at windmills.”