Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 91
Baca Dengan Seksama
The Squash Court Experiment
As the pile grew, so did the entire project. Fermi moved his materials to an abandoned squash court under a football stadium at the University of Chicago. His pace accelerated because they were proceeding on the premise that the Germans were close to atomic success. Six weeks after the pile had been started, its critical size was reached. Three brave young men jeopardized their lives by ascending the pile, ready to cover it with liquid cadmium if anything went wrong. Almost fifty scientists and several incredulous observers mounted a balcony to watch. One physicist remained on the floor; it was his job to extract the final cadmium control rod. Unbearable tension permeated the atmosphere. Fermi completed his calculations, waited for a propitious moment, and then gave the signal.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- Acting on the __________ that there were no burglars around, the police became quite lax.
- After I had perused the Yankee lineup, I was __________ about their chances of winning.
- The trapeze artist was squeamish about having to __________ his life.
- A terrible odor that was impossible to expunge __________ the skunk handler’s clothing.
- At a __________ moment the flamboyant movie star made her grand entrance.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ favorable
- ____ endanger
- ____ to spread through
- ____ skeptical
- ____ grounds for a conclusion
out of the frying pan into the fire = to go from a difficult situation to a worse one.
- I thought I had escaped, but actually I went out of the frying pan into the fire.