Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 93
Baca Dengan Seksama
Sunday Morning at Pearl Harbor
At breakfast time on Sunday morning, December 7, 1941, Dorie Miller was serving coffee aboard the battleship West Virginia. Dorie was black, and the highest job to which he could then aspire in the U.S. Navy was that of messman. While Dorie was technically a member of a great fighting fleet, he was not expected to fight. Most Army and Navy officers inveighed against blacks as fighting men. Although blacks were nettled by such overt prejudice, Dorie Miller apparently accepted being relegated to the role of a messhall servant. Now, as he poured the coffee, Dorie was wondering why the airplanes above were making so much noise on a peaceful Sunday morning.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- Although the comic’s quips seemed to be mild, they began to __________ the nightclub’s owner.
- I had a premonition that Eli would __________ to the position of captain.
- The pickets agreed to __________ against the law that curtailed their freedom.
- __________ acts of violence by the prisoner jeopardized his parole.
- When they tried to __________ the star to a minor role she was furious.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ irritate
- ____ open
- ____ assign to an inferior position
- ____ to strive for
- ____ attack verbally
to bury the hatchet = to make peace.
- After not speaking to each other for a year, they decided to bury the hatchet.