Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 95
Baca Dengan Seksama
The Heroism of Dorie Miller
Men all around Miller were succumbing to the lethal spray of Japanese bullets. He dragged his captain to safety and turned back to see that the machine-gunner had been killed. Dorie took the big gun and trained it on the incoming bombers. Within the space of ten minutes he was credited with destroying four bombers while dodging the bullets of their fighter escorts. The enemy scurried away, having struck the incisive blow that precipitated U.S. entrance into World War II. Amidst the dead bodies and the ruined fleet were the heroes such as Dorie Miller. The Navy had told him that he did not have to fight but he hadn’t listened. The Navy had attempted to stereotype him, but Dorie changed all that.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- Our editor castigated the proposal with his __________ commentary.
- Poe’s hero watched the rats __________ across his inert body.
- The jockey received a __________ kick from the fractious horse.
- A quarrel was __________ among the relatives after they heard the terms of the reprehensible will.
- The laconic Clint Eastwood is a __________ of the strong, silent Western hero.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ acute
- ____ run hastily
- ____ unvarying pattern
- ____ deadly
- ____ hasten
to gild the lily = to praise extravagantly.
- There was no need for the announcer to gild the lily because we could see how beautiful the model was.