Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 97
Baca Dengan Seksama
Danny Escobedo Goes to Jail
In 1960, a young Chicagoan, Danny Escobedo, was given a 20-year jail sentence for first-degree murder. Danny had confessed to complicity in the killing of his brother-in-law after the police had refused to allow him to see his lawyer. Actually, Danny was tricked into blaming a friend for the liquidation of his sister’s husband, thereby establishing himself as an accomplice. Despite the fact that Danny later recanted his confession, he was found culpable and jailed. Danny had been stereotyped as a hoodlum and nobody raised an eyebrow over the hapless felon’s troubles.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- Proceeding on the premise that the broker was guilty of __________ in the swindle, the detective followed him surreptitiously.
- After the __________ of the gang leader, a mammoth conflict arose among his ambitious lieutenants who aspired to be boss.
- Once the incontrovertible evidence was offered, the servant was held __________ in the theft of the jewels.
- When the clergyman refused to __________, his superiors were so nettled that they relegated him to an isolated parish in Alaska.
- Although he was judged as a minor __________, the driver had actually played an integral part in planning the crime.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ deserving blame
- ____ partnership in wrongdoing
- ____ an associate in crime
- ____ disposal of, killing
- ____ withdraw previous statements
woolgathering = absent mindedness or daydreaming.
- When the young genius should have been doing his homework, he was frequently engaged in woolgathering.