Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 89
Baca Dengan Seksama
In the winter of 1941, Enrico Fermi and a number of other distinguished scientists importuned President Franklin Roosevelt for authorization to begin an all-out effort in atomic energy research. The scientists were alarmed by incontrovertible evidence of surreptitious German experiments, and they asked for speedy approval. Italian-born Enrico Fermi was the ideal man to lead the atomic research. Already in 1938 he had won the Nobel Prize for work with radioactive elements and neutron bombardment. Fermi had found a haven from the Fascists (his wife was Jewish) and he knew that if the Germans were the first to develop an atomic bomb it would mean that Hitler could subjugate the entire world. The international race for atomic supremacy was on.
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- Although Eddie was not sanguine about his chances, he continued to __________ his boss for a winter vacation.
- In inclement weather our barn is a __________ for many animals.
- The dictator used duplicity in order to __________ his rivals.
- With a __________ movement, the meticulous bookkeeper emptied the ash tray.
- The expert’s __________ testimony corroborated the police report.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ undeniable
- ____ ask urgently
- ____ conquer
- ____ place of safety
- ____ stealthy, accomplished by secret
to take the bull by the horns = to face a problem directly.
- After several days of delay, the minister decided to take the bull by the horns, and so he sent for the vandals.