Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 92
Baca Dengan Seksama
The Italian Navigator Lands
The chain reaction took place precisely as Enrico Fermi had surmised. After twenty-eight minutes he curtailed the experiment, giving the signal to replace the control rod. The normally reserved scientists, unable to repress their excitement, let out a tremendous cheer and gathered around Fermi to shake his hand. Although it was time to celebrate, some of the men remarked soberly that “the world would never be the same again.” On December 2, 1942, the news of Fermi’s achievement was relayed in a cryptic telephone message:
“The Italian Navigator has reached the New World.”
“And how did he find the natives?”
The Atomic Age was inchoate but truly here!
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- Publication of the lurid magazine was __________ by the district attorney.
- Although his remarks appeared __________ at first, we began to see how really pertinent they were.
- I had to __________ my desire to interject my criticism during the debate.
- Edna had __________ that she would be charged a nominal sum and so she was outraged when she got the bill.
- The young couple was disappointed to see the __________ state of their new house.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ puzzling
- ____ guess
- ____ to put down
- ____ to cut short
- ____ in an early stage
to keep the pot boiling = to see that interest doesn’t die down.
- Dickens kept the pot boiling by ending each chapter on a note of uncertainty and suspense.