Belajar Bahasa Inggris – Pelajaran 99
Baca Dengan Seksama
An Historic Supreme Court Ruling
Lawyer Kroll persevered in his defense of Danny Escobedo. The case was argued before the Supreme Court, and in 1964, in a landmark decision, the Court reversed Danny’s conviction. Legal aid, said the judges, must be instantly available to a suspect. “A system of law enforcement that comes to depend on the confession,” one Justice declared, “will, in the long run, be less reliable than a system that depends on extrinsic evidence independently secured through skillful investigation.” A Justice who declaimed against the decision said, however, “I think the rule is ill-conceived and that it seriously fetters perfectly legitimate methods of criminal enforcement.”
Cobalah untuk menggunakan kata-kata baru diatas dengan mengisikannya ke (ubah akhir kata jika diperlukan) dalam kalimat di bawah ini:
- Collectors avidly sought the rare coin for its __________ value.
- If we __________, we can overcome many of our inhibitions.
- The Battle of Midway was a __________ victory in the U.S. campaign for ultimate victory over the Japanese in World War II.
- I knew that my father would __________ against Mother’s choice of ostentatious fabrics.
- The senator inveighed against the policy because he felt it would __________ our Air Force.
Cobalah untuk memasangkan kata-kata baru diatas dengan defenisi di bawah ini:
- ____ to hamper
- ____ foreign, coming from outside
- ____ speak loudly
- ____ persist
- ____ historic, turning point of a period
to break the ice = to make a start by overcoming initial difficulties.
- The auto salesman had a poor week, but he finally broke the ice by selling a fully equipped Cadillac.